The study aimed to evaluate the planning characteristics of spinal stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) using mono- and dual-isocentric volumetrically modulated arc therapy (VMAT) techniques. The dosimetric indices were compared between different beam arrangement techniques for spinal SBRT planning, including spinal cord avoidance, planning target volume (PTV) dose coverage, conformity, homogeneity, and gradient index. A total of 8 PTVs were contoured on RANDO phantom computed tomography (CT) images, with 4 PTVs per section of the spine (thoracic and lumbar). VMAT plans for each PTV were generated using 4 different beam arrangement techniques with a 6-MV FFF photon beam, two of which were mono-isocentric (MI) and 2 of which were dual-isocentric (DI). Dose calculations for all plans were performed using the Acuros XB algorithm. The study found that when non-contiguous spinal lesions are widely spaced, it may be more effective to use 4-Arcs DI to generate a better homogeneity index and gradient index, whereas 2-Arcs MI was beneficial for closely spaced lesions. Furthermore, the use of more arcs with a dual isocenter reduced the volume of partial cord receiving 10 Gy (V10Gy), maximum dose to 0.03 cc of partial cord (D0.03cc), and monitor units (MUs). The results showed that DI has a higher plan quality than MI for treating non-contiguous spine SBRT, with better homogeneity and a lower dose to the spinal cord, as well as comparable tumor coverage, delivery accuracy, and adequate tumour coverage. 4-Arcs DI had the sharpest dose falloff and achieved the lowest overall spinal cord doses at the expense of twice the treatment time as 2Arcs-MI. These results could help figure out which VMAT beam arrangements are best for treating non-contiguous spinal tumors.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Medical Dosimetry
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Single fraction spine radiosurgery for myeloma epidural spinal cord compression.J Exp Ther Oncol. 2009; 8: 35-41
- Spine radiosurgery: a dosimetric analysis in 124 patients who received 18 Gy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: e571-e576
- Selecting the appropriate radiation therapy technique for malignant spinal cord compression syndrome.Front Oncol. 2019; 9: 65
- Near simultaneous computed tomography image-guided stereotactic spinal radiotherapy: an emerging paradigm for achieving true stereotaxy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 57: 605-613
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy in multiple organ sites.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 947-952
- An overview of hypofractionation and introduction to this issue of seminars in radiation oncology.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2008; 18: 215-222
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy: The report of AAPM Task Group 101.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 4078-4101
- The Canadian Association of Radiation Oncology scope of practice guidelines for lung, liver and spine stereotactic body radiotherapy.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2012; 24: 629-639
- Unflattened photon beams from the standard flattening filter free accelerators for radiotherapy: Advantages, limitations and challenges.J Med Phys. 2011; 36: 123-125
- Re-irradiating spinal column metastases using IMRT and VMAT with and without flattening filter - a treatment planning study.Radiat Oncol. 2016; 11: 33
- Technique for stereotactic body radiotherapy for spinal metastases.J Clin Neurosci. 2011; 18: 276-279
- Impact of immobilization on intrafraction motion for spine stereotactic body radiotherapy using cone beam computed tomography.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 520-526
- International spine radiosurgery consortium consensus guidelines for target volume definition in spinal stereotactic radiosurgery.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: e597-e605
- Gross quantitative measurements of spinal cord segments in human.Spinal Cord. 2004; 42: 35-40
- Feasibility of single-isocenter volumetric modulated arc radiosurgery for treatment of multiple brain metastases.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 76: 296-302
- Single fraction radiosurgery/stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for spine metastasis: a dosimetric comparison of multiple delivery platforms.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2017; 18: 164-169
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy for spine radiosurgery: Superior treatment planning and delivery compared to static beam intensity modulated radiotherapy.BioMed Research International. 2016; 2016: 6
Published online: February 24, 2023
Accepted: January 22, 2023
Received in revised form: January 16, 2023
Received: September 9, 2022
© 2023 American Association of Medical Dosimetrists. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.